amc-theater

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 8 April 2010

On Leadership: Dartmouth College President Jim Yong Kim

Posted on 14:22 by tripal h


The above video is some good advice from Dartmouth College President Jim Yong Kim, which is similar to the advice I give: Develop an Asian American Consciousness and Be Damn Good at Something.

I once had a relevant email correspondance with Will of Better Asian Man. I told him how I enjoyed the Fallout Central podcasts and that I was sad to see Fallout Central go.

For those of you who don't know, Fallout Central was a site that featured podcasts on Asian American issues, current events and interviews with AA celebs and activists. They were a crew of four that came out with a professional and informative series of podcasts during their site's 2-3 year period. Here's what Will had to say about the demise of Fallout:


I hear what you're saying regarding the void on the internet, and I believe that this has to do with the CNN-style of news reporting that we did with regards to Asian American news. We have an assortment of blogs that report on what each respective blog author thinks is important, but none of them have quite the same edge.

For example, Angry Asian Man doesn't really report on news, his take is basically "here's something that happened ..." and every now and then he'll say "that's racist!" Then there's 8Asians, which provides a similar vibe. Between the two of them, there are also a number of things that aren't really news, such as recent sightings of random asian people in Microsoft Windows 7 advertisements. Plus, they don't do podcasts, they don't actively go out and research the incidents (the people surrounding the given incident, the neighborhood, and other pertinent background), and they don't do it in a live talk show format with multiple commentators. Being that that's what we were doing, you could imagine how much work that was. And I gotta tell you, that was exhausting work. I'm glad we did it, because I really learned a lot of things about research, reporting, and radio show production (I also gained extensive knowledge on audio recording equipment).

But for all that effort, I gotta tell you that the reach was miniscule compared to the reach that I have now with the Better Asian Man podcast. I posted some statistics on my website yesterday, and they are unbelievable. The first year of operation, 2008, was actually only 7/12 of a year, but even if you doubled those numbers, it's not even close to the number of podcast downloads in 2009, which was over 26,500 downloads. It's insane. The fallout central podcast was downloaded about 10 times per week, and usually less.

If there ever was a way to reach a captive audience of Asian American men, ages 18 - 35, I would find it hard to believe that any other website is can do it more effectively than me. Now, I am sure that Angry Asian Man has more than 10 times the website visitors than I do, but considering that it actually takes 100% of a person's attention span to listen to a podcast talk show, and considering that there were so many downloads in this past year, there is no question that the Better Asian Man podcast has a MUCH wider reach into the Asian American community than the Fallout Central podcast ever did in the time that it was running, which I think was 2.5 years-- maybe 3 years.

That said, if you know anyone who wants to spend the time to do interviews, or do Asian American news reporting, feel free to give them my contact information (email, cell phone, facebook), and I'd be happy to let them run the "Asian American Stuff" podcast segment. 'cuz pickup or no pickup, social stigma or no social stigma, the Better Asian Man podcast is the definitive means of reaching a captive Asian American male audience in a live talk show format that provides for live listener dial-in participation.



Identity politics is good, but when it comes right down to it, if you want to help people, then you have to address and fufill a need, whether perceived or real. This applies to business and to activism.

Bookmark and Share

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in Asian-American Empowerment | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Interview with Rick Lee
    Source: Online Education What I find interesting is the pie chart: the top 3 horny countries are China, South Korea and Japan. Anyway, here...
  • Finishing the Game
    I'm really surprised more people didn't like Finishing the Game . The comic timing by the actors and director was hilarious. The moc...
  • American Idol - John Park Interview
  • Why "A. Magazine" Went the Way of the Dodo
    I was looking around for images to stick on this blog, so I went through a pile of "A. Magazine" back issues. All I could up with...
  • "I see dead people..."
    Here's an absolutely hilarious video I found by way of AA Theory . It's a Korean girl pretending to be a ghost. The reactions from...
  • Facebook bans Racebending
    On March 15th, 2010, Facebook bans the group "People Against Racebending: Protest of the Cast of The Last Airbender Movie" for vio...
  • Attraction is Not a Choice
    I recently had lunch with a friend, and she related how she had broken up with her boyfriend. She's a very intelligent girl and like an...
  • Rock on, Lil' Alpha Asian!
    Three year old Howard Wong With all of these Asian kids popping up on YouTube with kick ass music and dance talents, I can't help but th...
  • Year of the Noodle - by MojoRider
    If I eat too much American cuisine for a long time, I get a huge hankering for Asian cuisine. I gotta have some rice and get away from potat...
  • Honestly Expressing One's Self
    So here's a great video I watched on the Big WoWo blog. Here's Byron's synopsis of the video: "In the video above, Nigeria...

Categories

  • 18 Mighty Mountain Warriors
  • 442nd
  • Aaron Yoo
  • Alpha Asian
  • Alpha Asians
  • American Born Chinese
  • American Idol
  • amrevolutions
  • Angel Island
  • Angry Asian Man
  • Anna123
  • art creativity
  • art creativity music
  • Asian American bloggers
  • Asian Americans
  • Asian kids
  • Asian men
  • Asian parents
  • Asian Pearls
  • Asian-American Empowerment
  • ass
  • attraction
  • Austin Asian American Film Festival
  • Banana
  • Better Asian Man
  • Better Luck Tomorrow
  • Big WoWo
  • blondes
  • Bobby Lee
  • Body modification
  • books
  • Bruce Lee
  • Burt Takeuchi
  • butts
  • Byron Mann
  • Cafe Di Vang
  • Cantonese Boy
  • cats
  • Celtic
  • Chilton
  • Christmas
  • comedians
  • comedy
  • ComicCon
  • community
  • Conan O'Brien
  • cuisine
  • culture
  • dads
  • dance
  • Daniel Dae Kim
  • Daniel Henney
  • dating
  • David Chang
  • death
  • Diary of a Mad Asian Guy
  • diet
  • dogs
  • Dragon Beads
  • Edward Tom
  • exercise
  • Far East Movement
  • fatherhood
  • fitness
  • fob
  • food
  • Forgotten History
  • fortune cookies
  • Fred Lau
  • Genghis Khan
  • Ghost Soldier
  • Goh Nakamura
  • grief
  • groceries
  • Gunnarolla
  • Halloween
  • Hanshan
  • happiness
  • health
  • Heather Fong
  • Hiroshima
  • hockey
  • identity politics
  • imagined communities
  • Immigration
  • interviews
  • Ironman 2
  • Jake Shimabukuro
  • James Huang
  • James Kyson Lee
  • Japanese videos
  • Jeremy Lin
  • Joe Wong
  • John Cho
  • John Park
  • Jon and Kate Plus 8
  • Just Kidding Films
  • Justin Chon
  • K-Town Cowboys
  • Kev Jumba
  • Kevin Tan
  • Kia
  • Kobukson
  • Kogi Taco Truck
  • language
  • law enforcement
  • leadership
  • life
  • little emperor syndrome
  • Long Tack Sam
  • Lost
  • Love Pearls
  • loyalty
  • Lumina
  • Lyoto Machida
  • Manny Pacquiao
  • martial arts
  • Michael Chang
  • migration
  • Miko Andres
  • military
  • Mojo Rider
  • money
  • Monkey King
  • Morgan Spurlock
  • movies
  • music
  • Names
  • new year's resolution
  • Ninja Assassin
  • noodles
  • Notorious MSG
  • Paper-Sons
  • paradorn
  • parkour
  • Paul Qingpoy Chow
  • pen spinning
  • Penis Beads
  • Planet B-Boy
  • podcast
  • population increase
  • pornography
  • pre-Columbian contact
  • psychology
  • Quest Crew
  • Randall Park
  • reality TV
  • relationships
  • Respect
  • restaurants
  • Rick Lee
  • Robert Hong
  • Robert Kiyosaki
  • rock
  • Roger Fan
  • Ruby Li Long
  • Ryan Higa
  • satire
  • science fiction
  • self knowledge
  • senior citizens
  • SFPD
  • Shanghai Kiss
  • Shogun
  • social networking
  • sports
  • Star Trek TNG
  • StreetWars
  • stuntmen
  • success
  • Sungha
  • Survivor
  • T-shirts
  • tattoo
  • Ted Leonsis
  • The Amazing Race 14
  • The Joy Luck Club
  • The Sims
  • Tim Chiou
  • Tsien Hsue-Shen
  • TV shows
  • Valentine's Day
  • Vanishing Son
  • Victor Kim
  • Vincent Chin
  • viral videos
  • web series
  • weight lifting
  • Wen Ho Lee
  • Westerberg
  • Wong Fu Productions
  • writer's block

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2010 (121)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (17)
    • ►  May (20)
    • ▼  April (19)
      • Interview with K-Town Reality Show Producers
      • Buffalo Bill Ed Wang (王凱) & his parents
      • Sometimes When I Punch by Manny Pacquiao
      • Streetfighter High
      • Inside a Chinese Immersion School
      • Octopus Steals Underwater Camera
      • Asian Conan
      • Life Lessons - Conclusion
      • Life Lessons Part 4 & 5 - Creed and Compassion
      • Slanted, The Web Series
      • Life Lessons Part 3 - Grief
      • On Leadership: Dartmouth College President Jim Yon...
      • Life Lessons Part 2 - Courage, Friendship, Camraderie
      • Punks Target Asians at Bus Stops
      • Life Lessons Part 1 - Loyalty
      • Yoonha Hwang "Break Your Heart"
      • Podcast: Do Universities Discriminate against Asia...
      • Emotional Expressiveness
      • Here's My Business Card...
    • ►  March (23)
    • ►  February (13)
    • ►  January (20)
  • ►  2009 (129)
    • ►  December (21)
    • ►  November (17)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (11)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2008 (60)
    • ►  December (18)
    • ►  November (22)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

tripal h
View my complete profile