amc-theater

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 20 March 2010

Rock on, Lil' Alpha Asian!

Posted on 08:09 by tripal h

Three year old Howard Wong


With all of these Asian kids popping up on YouTube with kick ass music and dance talents, I can't help but think that some of these parents are living their dreams of being a rock star through their kids. Very different parenting from the stereotypical Asian parenting that I grew up with that pushed us towards math and science, playing the piano or violin and becoming doctors or engineers.

My daughter is now one month old. My wife and I have talked about not raising our child to be an Asian Robot. My wife has always had an adverse reaction to nerds, and she doesn't want our daughter to be one. She wants our child to be well-rounded: smart, beautiful, stylish, confident, talented and kind to others (who deserve it).

Of course, I feel this way too, but I can't help but think that we might overreact to the Asian Robot Syndrome and create an underachieving wild child. Part of me is thinking, "Are we going to set the bar too low for our kid?"

This is just me talking out my thoughts and concerns, of course. Bottom line is I'm going to raise my daughter as best I can with my wife.

Bookmark and Share
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in Asian kids, Asian parents | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Interview with Rick Lee
    Source: Online Education What I find interesting is the pie chart: the top 3 horny countries are China, South Korea and Japan. Anyway, here...
  • Finishing the Game
    I'm really surprised more people didn't like Finishing the Game . The comic timing by the actors and director was hilarious. The moc...
  • American Idol - John Park Interview
  • Why "A. Magazine" Went the Way of the Dodo
    I was looking around for images to stick on this blog, so I went through a pile of "A. Magazine" back issues. All I could up with...
  • "I see dead people..."
    Here's an absolutely hilarious video I found by way of AA Theory . It's a Korean girl pretending to be a ghost. The reactions from...
  • Facebook bans Racebending
    On March 15th, 2010, Facebook bans the group "People Against Racebending: Protest of the Cast of The Last Airbender Movie" for vio...
  • Attraction is Not a Choice
    I recently had lunch with a friend, and she related how she had broken up with her boyfriend. She's a very intelligent girl and like an...
  • Year of the Noodle - by MojoRider
    If I eat too much American cuisine for a long time, I get a huge hankering for Asian cuisine. I gotta have some rice and get away from potat...
  • Honestly Expressing One's Self
    So here's a great video I watched on the Big WoWo blog. Here's Byron's synopsis of the video: "In the video above, Nigeria...
  • If it looks like a duck...
    You say "tomayto." I say "tomotto." You say crime of economic opportunity. I say hate crime: "Hate crime" m...

Categories

  • 18 Mighty Mountain Warriors
  • 442nd
  • Aaron Yoo
  • Alpha Asian
  • Alpha Asians
  • American Born Chinese
  • American Idol
  • amrevolutions
  • Angel Island
  • Angry Asian Man
  • Anna123
  • art creativity
  • art creativity music
  • Asian American bloggers
  • Asian Americans
  • Asian kids
  • Asian men
  • Asian parents
  • Asian Pearls
  • Asian-American Empowerment
  • ass
  • attraction
  • Austin Asian American Film Festival
  • Banana
  • Better Asian Man
  • Better Luck Tomorrow
  • Big WoWo
  • blondes
  • Bobby Lee
  • Body modification
  • books
  • Bruce Lee
  • Burt Takeuchi
  • butts
  • Byron Mann
  • Cafe Di Vang
  • Cantonese Boy
  • cats
  • Celtic
  • Chilton
  • Christmas
  • comedians
  • comedy
  • ComicCon
  • community
  • Conan O'Brien
  • cuisine
  • culture
  • dads
  • dance
  • Daniel Dae Kim
  • Daniel Henney
  • dating
  • David Chang
  • death
  • Diary of a Mad Asian Guy
  • diet
  • dogs
  • Dragon Beads
  • Edward Tom
  • exercise
  • Far East Movement
  • fatherhood
  • fitness
  • fob
  • food
  • Forgotten History
  • fortune cookies
  • Fred Lau
  • Genghis Khan
  • Ghost Soldier
  • Goh Nakamura
  • grief
  • groceries
  • Gunnarolla
  • Halloween
  • Hanshan
  • happiness
  • health
  • Heather Fong
  • Hiroshima
  • hockey
  • identity politics
  • imagined communities
  • Immigration
  • interviews
  • Ironman 2
  • Jake Shimabukuro
  • James Huang
  • James Kyson Lee
  • Japanese videos
  • Jeremy Lin
  • Joe Wong
  • John Cho
  • John Park
  • Jon and Kate Plus 8
  • Just Kidding Films
  • Justin Chon
  • K-Town Cowboys
  • Kev Jumba
  • Kevin Tan
  • Kia
  • Kobukson
  • Kogi Taco Truck
  • language
  • law enforcement
  • leadership
  • life
  • little emperor syndrome
  • Long Tack Sam
  • Lost
  • Love Pearls
  • loyalty
  • Lumina
  • Lyoto Machida
  • Manny Pacquiao
  • martial arts
  • Michael Chang
  • migration
  • Miko Andres
  • military
  • Mojo Rider
  • money
  • Monkey King
  • Morgan Spurlock
  • movies
  • music
  • Names
  • new year's resolution
  • Ninja Assassin
  • noodles
  • Notorious MSG
  • Paper-Sons
  • paradorn
  • parkour
  • Paul Qingpoy Chow
  • pen spinning
  • Penis Beads
  • Planet B-Boy
  • podcast
  • population increase
  • pornography
  • pre-Columbian contact
  • psychology
  • Quest Crew
  • Randall Park
  • reality TV
  • relationships
  • Respect
  • restaurants
  • Rick Lee
  • Robert Hong
  • Robert Kiyosaki
  • rock
  • Roger Fan
  • Ruby Li Long
  • Ryan Higa
  • satire
  • science fiction
  • self knowledge
  • senior citizens
  • SFPD
  • Shanghai Kiss
  • Shogun
  • social networking
  • sports
  • Star Trek TNG
  • StreetWars
  • stuntmen
  • success
  • Sungha
  • Survivor
  • T-shirts
  • tattoo
  • Ted Leonsis
  • The Amazing Race 14
  • The Joy Luck Club
  • The Sims
  • Tim Chiou
  • Tsien Hsue-Shen
  • TV shows
  • Valentine's Day
  • Vanishing Son
  • Victor Kim
  • Vincent Chin
  • viral videos
  • web series
  • weight lifting
  • Wen Ho Lee
  • Westerberg
  • Wong Fu Productions
  • writer's block

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2010 (121)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (17)
    • ►  May (20)
    • ►  April (19)
    • ▼  March (23)
      • Christopher Wong, Director of "Whatever it Takes"
      • The Keys to Happiness - by Mojo Rider
      • Behind Every Alpha Asian...
      • Notorious MSG: Egg Rollin'
      • Joe Wong at the Annual Radio & TV Correspondents' ...
      • Year of the Noodle - by MojoRider
      • Farewell, Alex Chilton
      • Rock on, Lil' Alpha Asian!
      • Windowbreaker
      • The White Man Squat? by Mojo Rider
      • Dustin Nguyen's Homage to Bruce
      • Facebook bans Racebending
      • "I see dead people..."
      • Joe and Heidi Eliminated from The Amazing Race
      • StreetWars
      • A Village Called Versailles
      • American Idol - John Park Interview
      • Racebending Interview with ChannelAPA
      • Honestly Expressing One's Self
      • Never Forget: Vincent Chin
      • Steve Nguyen Interviews James Kyson Lee
      • Lost Update 3/3/2010
      • Dumb Professor, Episode 2
    • ►  February (13)
    • ►  January (20)
  • ►  2009 (129)
    • ►  December (21)
    • ►  November (17)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (11)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2008 (60)
    • ►  December (18)
    • ►  November (22)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

tripal h
View my complete profile