amc-theater

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 23 October 2008

The Biggest Distractors in People's Lives

Posted on 13:43 by tripal h
Distractions. Everybody has distractions in their lives that keep them from achieving their goals, whether it be physique goals or any other goal in life. Some "distractions" really aren't distractions but obligations, such as family ("Damn it, woman! If wasn't for you and the kids, I'd be Mr. Olympia by now!") and career ("Hey, you want to join the office lotto pool? If we win, we're sooo outta here.")

But some things are just a big fat waste of time. I'm guilty of all three of these:

1) TV- I used to watch lots of TV, but now I can't stand to watch any more than 2 hours a day. It has to serve a purpose for me to watch it, which is why I watch History Channel documentaries a lot. I do watch comedy standup to decompress, and reality shows to observe human behavior. "I Survived A Japanese Game Show" is one I've been watching lately. Bottom line is not to watch TV during the day, because it will just chew up your time. Watch it in the evening when you want to relax.

2) The Internet- I think Internet addiction is a real phenomenon. Prior to our weekend trip to the OC, my wife jokingly asked if I needed to bring the laptop. Checking your email, surfing the net and blogging take up quite a bit of time, and it feels like you're getting stuff done. But in reality, the Web is just chock full of distractions. I just don't get social networking sites. Great way to find people, but boy, is that a waste of time. If you want to keep in touch with me, then just send me an email. Plus lots of people post stuff in forums. I like the Yelp forum, because it's active and shows the entire thread. Everybody has short and to the point responses. The Internet can be a great resource where you can write books, create sites and voice your opinion, but you can also waste a lot of time with frivolous stuff.

3) Books- This might surprise you, but sometimes books are big distractors for nerds. Unless you write fiction in some form (movie/TV script, graphic novel, etc.), fiction books are some of the biggest distractors for sappy nerds. Who wants to read about life? Go out and live it. Women tend to fall in this trap and form book clubs (even more distraction). I used to read a lot of sci fi as a kid, but now I read a lot of nonfiction books on topics that further my interests: health, marketing, psychology, Internet trends and of course, bodybuilding and strength training. But there is only so much reading you can do. You have to go out there and apply your research. I think people who read too much use research preparation to stall and procrastinate. What helps me is to practice a little bit of speed reading and go through books at a faster rate. Take what's useful and move on.


Bookmark and Share

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in psychology | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Interview with Rick Lee
    Source: Online Education What I find interesting is the pie chart: the top 3 horny countries are China, South Korea and Japan. Anyway, here...
  • Finishing the Game
    I'm really surprised more people didn't like Finishing the Game . The comic timing by the actors and director was hilarious. The moc...
  • Forgotten Magic by Celtic
    Official history has a funny way of neglecting to tell large chapters of our collective human story. If we only take enough time to read the...
  • American Idol - John Park Interview
  • Why "A. Magazine" Went the Way of the Dodo
    I was looking around for images to stick on this blog, so I went through a pile of "A. Magazine" back issues. All I could up with...
  • "I see dead people..."
    Here's an absolutely hilarious video I found by way of AA Theory . It's a Korean girl pretending to be a ghost. The reactions from...
  • Facebook bans Racebending
    On March 15th, 2010, Facebook bans the group "People Against Racebending: Protest of the Cast of The Last Airbender Movie" for vio...
  • Attraction is Not a Choice
    I recently had lunch with a friend, and she related how she had broken up with her boyfriend. She's a very intelligent girl and like an...
  • Rock on, Lil' Alpha Asian!
    Three year old Howard Wong With all of these Asian kids popping up on YouTube with kick ass music and dance talents, I can't help but th...
  • Year of the Noodle - by MojoRider
    If I eat too much American cuisine for a long time, I get a huge hankering for Asian cuisine. I gotta have some rice and get away from potat...

Categories

  • 18 Mighty Mountain Warriors
  • 442nd
  • Aaron Yoo
  • Alpha Asian
  • Alpha Asians
  • American Born Chinese
  • American Idol
  • amrevolutions
  • Angel Island
  • Angry Asian Man
  • Anna123
  • art creativity
  • art creativity music
  • Asian American bloggers
  • Asian Americans
  • Asian kids
  • Asian men
  • Asian parents
  • Asian Pearls
  • Asian-American Empowerment
  • ass
  • attraction
  • Austin Asian American Film Festival
  • Banana
  • Better Asian Man
  • Better Luck Tomorrow
  • Big WoWo
  • blondes
  • Bobby Lee
  • Body modification
  • books
  • Bruce Lee
  • Burt Takeuchi
  • butts
  • Byron Mann
  • Cafe Di Vang
  • Cantonese Boy
  • cats
  • Celtic
  • Chilton
  • Christmas
  • comedians
  • comedy
  • ComicCon
  • community
  • Conan O'Brien
  • cuisine
  • culture
  • dads
  • dance
  • Daniel Dae Kim
  • Daniel Henney
  • dating
  • David Chang
  • death
  • Diary of a Mad Asian Guy
  • diet
  • dogs
  • Dragon Beads
  • Edward Tom
  • exercise
  • Far East Movement
  • fatherhood
  • fitness
  • fob
  • food
  • Forgotten History
  • fortune cookies
  • Fred Lau
  • Genghis Khan
  • Ghost Soldier
  • Goh Nakamura
  • grief
  • groceries
  • Gunnarolla
  • Halloween
  • Hanshan
  • happiness
  • health
  • Heather Fong
  • Hiroshima
  • hockey
  • identity politics
  • imagined communities
  • Immigration
  • interviews
  • Ironman 2
  • Jake Shimabukuro
  • James Huang
  • James Kyson Lee
  • Japanese videos
  • Jeremy Lin
  • Joe Wong
  • John Cho
  • John Park
  • Jon and Kate Plus 8
  • Just Kidding Films
  • Justin Chon
  • K-Town Cowboys
  • Kev Jumba
  • Kevin Tan
  • Kia
  • Kobukson
  • Kogi Taco Truck
  • language
  • law enforcement
  • leadership
  • life
  • little emperor syndrome
  • Long Tack Sam
  • Lost
  • Love Pearls
  • loyalty
  • Lumina
  • Lyoto Machida
  • Manny Pacquiao
  • martial arts
  • Michael Chang
  • migration
  • Miko Andres
  • military
  • Mojo Rider
  • money
  • Monkey King
  • Morgan Spurlock
  • movies
  • music
  • Names
  • new year's resolution
  • Ninja Assassin
  • noodles
  • Notorious MSG
  • Paper-Sons
  • paradorn
  • parkour
  • Paul Qingpoy Chow
  • pen spinning
  • Penis Beads
  • Planet B-Boy
  • podcast
  • population increase
  • pornography
  • pre-Columbian contact
  • psychology
  • Quest Crew
  • Randall Park
  • reality TV
  • relationships
  • Respect
  • restaurants
  • Rick Lee
  • Robert Hong
  • Robert Kiyosaki
  • rock
  • Roger Fan
  • Ruby Li Long
  • Ryan Higa
  • satire
  • science fiction
  • self knowledge
  • senior citizens
  • SFPD
  • Shanghai Kiss
  • Shogun
  • social networking
  • sports
  • Star Trek TNG
  • StreetWars
  • stuntmen
  • success
  • Sungha
  • Survivor
  • T-shirts
  • tattoo
  • Ted Leonsis
  • The Amazing Race 14
  • The Joy Luck Club
  • The Sims
  • Tim Chiou
  • Tsien Hsue-Shen
  • TV shows
  • Valentine's Day
  • Vanishing Son
  • Victor Kim
  • Vincent Chin
  • viral videos
  • web series
  • weight lifting
  • Wen Ho Lee
  • Westerberg
  • Wong Fu Productions
  • writer's block

Blog Archive

  • ►  2010 (121)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (17)
    • ►  May (20)
    • ►  April (19)
    • ►  March (23)
    • ►  February (13)
    • ►  January (20)
  • ►  2009 (129)
    • ►  December (21)
    • ►  November (17)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (11)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ▼  2008 (60)
    • ►  December (18)
    • ►  November (22)
    • ▼  October (11)
      • Vote for Your Favorite Alpha-Asian T-Shirt Design
      • Free Your Mind
      • Are You A Social Networking Slut?
      • The Biggest Distractors in People's Lives
      • The Notorious MSG
      • Parry Shen in "The Tivo"
      • First Asian Boy
      • Frank Chin: The Original Angry Asian Man
      • Recommended Books for the Alpha Asian
      • Reader Mail: Asian American Activism
      • Reader Mail: Working Out to Gain Weight
    • ►  September (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

tripal h
View my complete profile