amc-theater

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 25 October 2009

Richard Park - Mojo Rider

Posted on 19:25 by tripal h
Alex Ovechkin checking Evgeni Malkin into the boards


I like ice hockey, which is weird given that I grew up in DC area. I always think of hockey as a northeastern and midwestern sport. But ever since DC acquired an expansion team back in 1974, the Washington Capitals, I've been an observer and fan of my local NHL franchise. Sure, hockey is probably a third or fourth tier sport in most major metro areas. Let's face it, football still dominates most people's interest as far as pro sports goes.

But I like it, having gone to a few Caps games as a kid with my uncle. The team has been a real heartbreaker to follow, having always been a group of overachievers, and they've managed to lose in a lot of tough game 7's of the playoffs. But in the last few years, the team is much different and they have arguably the best player in the NHL today in Alex Ovechkin. It's just fun to watch this team play (of course, it helps if the team is considered one of the elite teams in the league).

But the other night, I watched the Caps play the NY Islanders on TV and I saw this player on the Islanders that always caught my attention. I had first been aware of him several years ago when I went to a Caps game and saw him score the game winning over time goal against the Caps. His name is Richard Park, the second Korean born hockey player ever in the NHL. I don't know much about Park, but he's fast on the ice and he's got a penchant for scoring breakaway goals or shorthanded goals (when a team is down a man due to a penalty). No easy chore! Checking on some other hockey sites, a good number of observers say that he might be one of the most under rated players in the league. But I think it's awesome to see an Asian player in the NHL. Here's a fun promo video Park did for the Islanders:

Park isn't the only one---others have been pioneers. Paul Kariya may be the best known Asian American hockey player and he is still active. But what is interesting is that the NY Islanders is also owned by an Asian American: Charlie Wang. Did you know that? I wasn't aware of that until a few years ago. He's kind of a wacky businessman and owner and he's had some controversy surrounding him. But I wish him success. I can't think of any other Asian American that is a major league franchise owner, let alone minority interest owner.


Paul Kariya


I like seeing Park doing well. It's really cool to see Asians competing on the ice in a sport dominated by mostly white North Americans and Europeans.


Bookmark and Share
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in hockey, Mojo Rider, sports | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Interview with Rick Lee
    Source: Online Education What I find interesting is the pie chart: the top 3 horny countries are China, South Korea and Japan. Anyway, here...
  • Finishing the Game
    I'm really surprised more people didn't like Finishing the Game . The comic timing by the actors and director was hilarious. The moc...
  • American Idol - John Park Interview
  • Why "A. Magazine" Went the Way of the Dodo
    I was looking around for images to stick on this blog, so I went through a pile of "A. Magazine" back issues. All I could up with...
  • "I see dead people..."
    Here's an absolutely hilarious video I found by way of AA Theory . It's a Korean girl pretending to be a ghost. The reactions from...
  • Facebook bans Racebending
    On March 15th, 2010, Facebook bans the group "People Against Racebending: Protest of the Cast of The Last Airbender Movie" for vio...
  • Attraction is Not a Choice
    I recently had lunch with a friend, and she related how she had broken up with her boyfriend. She's a very intelligent girl and like an...
  • Year of the Noodle - by MojoRider
    If I eat too much American cuisine for a long time, I get a huge hankering for Asian cuisine. I gotta have some rice and get away from potat...
  • Honestly Expressing One's Self
    So here's a great video I watched on the Big WoWo blog. Here's Byron's synopsis of the video: "In the video above, Nigeria...
  • If it looks like a duck...
    You say "tomayto." I say "tomotto." You say crime of economic opportunity. I say hate crime: "Hate crime" m...

Categories

  • 18 Mighty Mountain Warriors
  • 442nd
  • Aaron Yoo
  • Alpha Asian
  • Alpha Asians
  • American Born Chinese
  • American Idol
  • amrevolutions
  • Angel Island
  • Angry Asian Man
  • Anna123
  • art creativity
  • art creativity music
  • Asian American bloggers
  • Asian Americans
  • Asian kids
  • Asian men
  • Asian parents
  • Asian Pearls
  • Asian-American Empowerment
  • ass
  • attraction
  • Austin Asian American Film Festival
  • Banana
  • Better Asian Man
  • Better Luck Tomorrow
  • Big WoWo
  • blondes
  • Bobby Lee
  • Body modification
  • books
  • Bruce Lee
  • Burt Takeuchi
  • butts
  • Byron Mann
  • Cafe Di Vang
  • Cantonese Boy
  • cats
  • Celtic
  • Chilton
  • Christmas
  • comedians
  • comedy
  • ComicCon
  • community
  • Conan O'Brien
  • cuisine
  • culture
  • dads
  • dance
  • Daniel Dae Kim
  • Daniel Henney
  • dating
  • David Chang
  • death
  • Diary of a Mad Asian Guy
  • diet
  • dogs
  • Dragon Beads
  • Edward Tom
  • exercise
  • Far East Movement
  • fatherhood
  • fitness
  • fob
  • food
  • Forgotten History
  • fortune cookies
  • Fred Lau
  • Genghis Khan
  • Ghost Soldier
  • Goh Nakamura
  • grief
  • groceries
  • Gunnarolla
  • Halloween
  • Hanshan
  • happiness
  • health
  • Heather Fong
  • Hiroshima
  • hockey
  • identity politics
  • imagined communities
  • Immigration
  • interviews
  • Ironman 2
  • Jake Shimabukuro
  • James Huang
  • James Kyson Lee
  • Japanese videos
  • Jeremy Lin
  • Joe Wong
  • John Cho
  • John Park
  • Jon and Kate Plus 8
  • Just Kidding Films
  • Justin Chon
  • K-Town Cowboys
  • Kev Jumba
  • Kevin Tan
  • Kia
  • Kobukson
  • Kogi Taco Truck
  • language
  • law enforcement
  • leadership
  • life
  • little emperor syndrome
  • Long Tack Sam
  • Lost
  • Love Pearls
  • loyalty
  • Lumina
  • Lyoto Machida
  • Manny Pacquiao
  • martial arts
  • Michael Chang
  • migration
  • Miko Andres
  • military
  • Mojo Rider
  • money
  • Monkey King
  • Morgan Spurlock
  • movies
  • music
  • Names
  • new year's resolution
  • Ninja Assassin
  • noodles
  • Notorious MSG
  • Paper-Sons
  • paradorn
  • parkour
  • Paul Qingpoy Chow
  • pen spinning
  • Penis Beads
  • Planet B-Boy
  • podcast
  • population increase
  • pornography
  • pre-Columbian contact
  • psychology
  • Quest Crew
  • Randall Park
  • reality TV
  • relationships
  • Respect
  • restaurants
  • Rick Lee
  • Robert Hong
  • Robert Kiyosaki
  • rock
  • Roger Fan
  • Ruby Li Long
  • Ryan Higa
  • satire
  • science fiction
  • self knowledge
  • senior citizens
  • SFPD
  • Shanghai Kiss
  • Shogun
  • social networking
  • sports
  • Star Trek TNG
  • StreetWars
  • stuntmen
  • success
  • Sungha
  • Survivor
  • T-shirts
  • tattoo
  • Ted Leonsis
  • The Amazing Race 14
  • The Joy Luck Club
  • The Sims
  • Tim Chiou
  • Tsien Hsue-Shen
  • TV shows
  • Valentine's Day
  • Vanishing Son
  • Victor Kim
  • Vincent Chin
  • viral videos
  • web series
  • weight lifting
  • Wen Ho Lee
  • Westerberg
  • Wong Fu Productions
  • writer's block

Blog Archive

  • ►  2010 (121)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (17)
    • ►  May (20)
    • ►  April (19)
    • ►  March (23)
    • ►  February (13)
    • ►  January (20)
  • ▼  2009 (129)
    • ►  December (21)
    • ►  November (17)
    • ▼  October (17)
      • I Hate Cheese
      • The Bourne Friendship
      • Chinese Food or "Chinese" Chinese Food?
      • Conan O'Brien in Chinatown
      • Austin Asian American Film Festival
      • Richard Park - Mojo Rider
      • Randall Park at The San Diego Asian Film Festival ...
      • Weight Training for Longer Life - Mojo Rider
      • Michael Chang
      • Asian MBA's Look for Work Overseas
      • Ghost Soldier
      • How to Escape a Fart
      • Aaron Yoo
      • Kev Jumba
      • Turbo with Justin Chon
      • Social Networking Driving Lunch Trucks
      • Goh Nakamura
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (11)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2008 (60)
    • ►  December (18)
    • ►  November (22)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

tripal h
View my complete profile