amc-theater

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 19 March 2009

Reader Mail: Yuk! Don't Train When You're Sick

Posted on 08:41 by tripal h
"Hi James,

"I recently purchased the second volume of your book and have been following the Density/Decompression program, and thus far I've seen some great results. A few days ago however I caught the flu and have been unable to get to the gym to complete the second week of the decompression phase. I figure I will have been out of commission for an entire week once I get over this sickness.

"I was wondering how you suggest I work back into the rhythm of the program? Should I carry on with a second week of decompression as though nothing had happened, or should I begin a new density phase?

"Thanks for your time! I really appreciate your blog as a resource. I would also add that as a person of Asian descent, I appreciate your contribution (whether conscious or not) towards breaking down stereotypes of the typical Asian male."

-Philippe


My Answer: If you're sick, then don't workout. If you are sick or injured, then your primary concern is recovery. When you do recover, simply resume the decompression phase. This will serve as a nice break-in period to get you re-acclimated to working out again.

It is not uncommon for people to get sick from training, especially if the training stimulus is new. If you train longer than an hour and you do this repeatedly on a poor diet, then yes, your immunity will be compromised. The other reason exercise sometimes gets you sick is that a lot of toxins are located in your fat stores, so when those fat stores are broken down, the toxins get released into your bloodstream.

By the way Philippe, thanks for the kind words. Part of the reason I wrote Strength and Physique Volumes One and Two was to share with my readers solid information on how to crack the hypertrophy code. If you've done your homework in the gym and with your diet, and you want to take your physique to the next level, then my books will show you how. All lifters who love bodybuilding, Asian or not, should have this knowledge.

When I started my Strength and Physique Blog and wrote my magazine and online articles, I wasn't looking to break stereotypes about the weak Asian male. I just had a love for bodybuilding and strength training.

But I've gotten so many comments, similar to yours, about how it's great to see an athletic-looking Asian male. I'm quite honored and quite humbled that my peers would see me as somewhat of a role model. All Asian males, however, have the potential to be the best at something and to represent our tribe in a good light. By sharing what I know with you guys, you can all reach your physique potential, as long you workout consistently and intelligently.

Strength training is my expertise. Do your Asian brothers a favor and share your expertise. This way we can all be role models for our community.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in exercise | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Interview with Rick Lee
    Source: Online Education What I find interesting is the pie chart: the top 3 horny countries are China, South Korea and Japan. Anyway, here...
  • Finishing the Game
    I'm really surprised more people didn't like Finishing the Game . The comic timing by the actors and director was hilarious. The moc...
  • American Idol - John Park Interview
  • Why "A. Magazine" Went the Way of the Dodo
    I was looking around for images to stick on this blog, so I went through a pile of "A. Magazine" back issues. All I could up with...
  • "I see dead people..."
    Here's an absolutely hilarious video I found by way of AA Theory . It's a Korean girl pretending to be a ghost. The reactions from...
  • Facebook bans Racebending
    On March 15th, 2010, Facebook bans the group "People Against Racebending: Protest of the Cast of The Last Airbender Movie" for vio...
  • Attraction is Not a Choice
    I recently had lunch with a friend, and she related how she had broken up with her boyfriend. She's a very intelligent girl and like an...
  • Year of the Noodle - by MojoRider
    If I eat too much American cuisine for a long time, I get a huge hankering for Asian cuisine. I gotta have some rice and get away from potat...
  • Honestly Expressing One's Self
    So here's a great video I watched on the Big WoWo blog. Here's Byron's synopsis of the video: "In the video above, Nigeria...
  • If it looks like a duck...
    You say "tomayto." I say "tomotto." You say crime of economic opportunity. I say hate crime: "Hate crime" m...

Categories

  • 18 Mighty Mountain Warriors
  • 442nd
  • Aaron Yoo
  • Alpha Asian
  • Alpha Asians
  • American Born Chinese
  • American Idol
  • amrevolutions
  • Angel Island
  • Angry Asian Man
  • Anna123
  • art creativity
  • art creativity music
  • Asian American bloggers
  • Asian Americans
  • Asian kids
  • Asian men
  • Asian parents
  • Asian Pearls
  • Asian-American Empowerment
  • ass
  • attraction
  • Austin Asian American Film Festival
  • Banana
  • Better Asian Man
  • Better Luck Tomorrow
  • Big WoWo
  • blondes
  • Bobby Lee
  • Body modification
  • books
  • Bruce Lee
  • Burt Takeuchi
  • butts
  • Byron Mann
  • Cafe Di Vang
  • Cantonese Boy
  • cats
  • Celtic
  • Chilton
  • Christmas
  • comedians
  • comedy
  • ComicCon
  • community
  • Conan O'Brien
  • cuisine
  • culture
  • dads
  • dance
  • Daniel Dae Kim
  • Daniel Henney
  • dating
  • David Chang
  • death
  • Diary of a Mad Asian Guy
  • diet
  • dogs
  • Dragon Beads
  • Edward Tom
  • exercise
  • Far East Movement
  • fatherhood
  • fitness
  • fob
  • food
  • Forgotten History
  • fortune cookies
  • Fred Lau
  • Genghis Khan
  • Ghost Soldier
  • Goh Nakamura
  • grief
  • groceries
  • Gunnarolla
  • Halloween
  • Hanshan
  • happiness
  • health
  • Heather Fong
  • Hiroshima
  • hockey
  • identity politics
  • imagined communities
  • Immigration
  • interviews
  • Ironman 2
  • Jake Shimabukuro
  • James Huang
  • James Kyson Lee
  • Japanese videos
  • Jeremy Lin
  • Joe Wong
  • John Cho
  • John Park
  • Jon and Kate Plus 8
  • Just Kidding Films
  • Justin Chon
  • K-Town Cowboys
  • Kev Jumba
  • Kevin Tan
  • Kia
  • Kobukson
  • Kogi Taco Truck
  • language
  • law enforcement
  • leadership
  • life
  • little emperor syndrome
  • Long Tack Sam
  • Lost
  • Love Pearls
  • loyalty
  • Lumina
  • Lyoto Machida
  • Manny Pacquiao
  • martial arts
  • Michael Chang
  • migration
  • Miko Andres
  • military
  • Mojo Rider
  • money
  • Monkey King
  • Morgan Spurlock
  • movies
  • music
  • Names
  • new year's resolution
  • Ninja Assassin
  • noodles
  • Notorious MSG
  • Paper-Sons
  • paradorn
  • parkour
  • Paul Qingpoy Chow
  • pen spinning
  • Penis Beads
  • Planet B-Boy
  • podcast
  • population increase
  • pornography
  • pre-Columbian contact
  • psychology
  • Quest Crew
  • Randall Park
  • reality TV
  • relationships
  • Respect
  • restaurants
  • Rick Lee
  • Robert Hong
  • Robert Kiyosaki
  • rock
  • Roger Fan
  • Ruby Li Long
  • Ryan Higa
  • satire
  • science fiction
  • self knowledge
  • senior citizens
  • SFPD
  • Shanghai Kiss
  • Shogun
  • social networking
  • sports
  • Star Trek TNG
  • StreetWars
  • stuntmen
  • success
  • Sungha
  • Survivor
  • T-shirts
  • tattoo
  • Ted Leonsis
  • The Amazing Race 14
  • The Joy Luck Club
  • The Sims
  • Tim Chiou
  • Tsien Hsue-Shen
  • TV shows
  • Valentine's Day
  • Vanishing Son
  • Victor Kim
  • Vincent Chin
  • viral videos
  • web series
  • weight lifting
  • Wen Ho Lee
  • Westerberg
  • Wong Fu Productions
  • writer's block

Blog Archive

  • ►  2010 (121)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (17)
    • ►  May (20)
    • ►  April (19)
    • ►  March (23)
    • ►  February (13)
    • ►  January (20)
  • ▼  2009 (129)
    • ►  December (21)
    • ►  November (17)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (11)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ▼  March (5)
      • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
      • Reader Mail: Yuk! Don't Train When You're Sick
      • A trip into Angel Island's past
      • Young at Heart, Mature in Mind
      • Sibling Dynamics on the Amazing Race
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2008 (60)
    • ►  December (18)
    • ►  November (22)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

tripal h
View my complete profile